In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(ocupación)activityactividades extraescolares — extracurricular activities
- su actividad profesional — her work
2(vida, movimiento)activityhabía mucha actividad en el aeropuerto — there was a lot of activity at the airport
- todavía queda algo de actividad artesanal en estos pueblos — there are still some crafts being practiced in these villages
- se registró escasa actividad en la Bolsa — trading was slow / there was little movement on the Stock Exchange
- un volcán en actividad — an active volcano
- su actividad mental es continua — her mind is constantly active
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.