In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(cuestión, problema)matterno hemos hablado del asunto del viaje — we haven't talked about the trip
- este es un asunto muy delicado — this is a very delicate matter / issue
- se pelearon por el asunto de la herencia — they fell out over the inheritance
- han quedado algunos asuntos pendientes — there are still a few matters / questions / things to be resolved
- está implicado en un asunto de drogas — he's mixed up in something to do with drugs
- están hablando de asuntos de negocios — they're talking about business matters
- tengo un asunto muy importante entre manos — I'm dealing with a very important matter
- no es asunto tuyo — it's none of your business
- mal asunto, mañana viene el director general — I don't like the look of this, the general manager's coming tomorrow
- y asunto concluido
- ya te he dicho que no y asunto concluido — I've already said no and that's that / that's final / that's all there is to it
- si se van a pelear por la pelota yo se la quito y asunto concluido — if you're going to fight over the ball, I'll take it away and that'll be the end of that
2despectivo(relación amorosa)affairtuvo un asuntillo con la secretaria — he had a brief fling with his secretary
3Cono Sur coloquial(razón, sentido)¿a asunto de qué / con qué asunto se lo dijiste? — why on earth did you tell him? coloquial
- le encuentro muy poco asunto a esto — I don't see much point in this
- ¿a asunto de qué me voy a ir hasta allá si no van a estar? — what on earth's the point of my going all the way there if they're not going to be in?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.