In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(de un producto, servicio)qualityun artículo de primera calidad — a top-quality product
- un vino de calidad superior — a superior wine
- control de calidad — quality control
- es una obra de calidad — it is a work of high quality
2(condición)statuslos documentos que certifiquen su calidad de estudiante — the documents that prove you are a student / that prove your student status
- en calidad de
- asistió a la reunión en calidad de observador — he attended the meeting as an observer
- en su calidad de presidente electo — in his capacity as president elect
- el dinero que recibió en calidad de préstamo — the money he received as a loan
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.