In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1farmcriadero de pollos — poultry farm
- criadero de salmones — salmon farm
- criadero de truchas — trout farm / hatchery
- criadero de perros — kennel
- criadero de ostras/mejillones — oyster/mussel bed
- se ha convertido en un criadero de ratas — it's become a breeding ground for rats
- este hueco es un criadero de mugre — the dirt really builds up in this gap
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.