In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(distracción)en un descuido el niño se le escapó — her attention wandered for a moment and the child ran off
- en un descuido — you never know
- en un descuido hasta podemos ganar el concurso — you never know, we might even win the competition
2(error) slip(error) error(error) mistake(omisión) oversight
3(falta de cuidado)carelessnesstodo lo hace con descuido — he's very slapdash
- comete muchos errores por descuido — he makes a lot of mistakes through not being careful enough
- al descuido — nonchalantly
- lo dejó caer así al descuido — she dropped it into the conversation quite nonchalantly / casually
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.