In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(perdón)le pido disculpas por mi tardanza — please excuse me / I apologize for being late
- ve y pídele disculpas — go and apologize to him
- me debe una disculpa — she owes me an apology
- un error que no tiene / no admite disculpa — an inexcusable error
- no hay disculpas para lo que hice — there is no excuse for what I did
2(pretexto, excusa)pretextexcusese fue antes con la disculpa de que tenía otro compromiso — he left early on the pretext of having another appointment
- siempre que llega tarde me sale con alguna disculpa — every time she's late she comes out with some excuse
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.