In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(en el transcurso de) during(cuando se especifica la duración) fordurante mi ausencia/su reinado — during my absence/his reign
- durante 1980 — during / in 1980
- gobernó el país durante casi dos décadas — she governed the country for almost two decades
- normalmente no salimos durante la semana — we don't normally go out during the week
- trabajé en casa durante toda esa semana — I worked at home all that week / for the whole of that week
- los precios aumentaron un 0,3% durante el mes de diciembre — prices rose by 0.3% in December
- cuando estas drogas se toman durante un período largo — when these drugs are taken over / for a long period
- su condición ha empeorado durante los últimos días — his condition has worsened over the last few days
- durante estos días realiza una gira por Italia — she is at present / currently on tour in Italy
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.