In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to workel reloj funciona a la perfección — the clock works perfectly
- ¿cómo funciona este cacharro? — how does this thing work?
- [ S ] no funciona — out of order
- la relación no funcionaba — their relationship wasn't working (out)
- el servicio no puede funcionar con tan poco personal — the service cannot operate / function with so few staff
- funciona con pilas — it works on / runs off batteries
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.