In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(trámite)la única gestión que había realizado — the only step he had taken
- hizo / efectuó gestiones para adoptar un niño — he went through the procedure for adopting a child
- su apoyo a las gestiones de paz — their support for the peace process / peace moves
- las gestiones realizadas por sus compañeros — the steps / action taken by his colleagues
- las gestiones actualmente en marcha para resolverlo — the efforts currently under way to resolve it
- unas gestiones que tenía que realizar — some business that I had to attend to
2Comercio Finanzas(de una empresa) management(de una empresa) running(de bienes) management(de bienes) administration
3Administración Políticaadministrationun balance sobre sus dos años de gestión — a review of their two-year administration / of their two years in power
4gestiones feminine plural(negociaciones)negotiations
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.