In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(cuarto) room(dormitorio) bedroomcinco habitaciones, cocina y baño — five rooms, plus kitchen and bathroom
- comparto la habitación con mi hermana — I share the room with my sister
- [ S ] habitaciones libres — vacancies
- ¿tienen habitaciones libres? — do you have any rooms free?
- habitación individual/doble — single/double room
- habitación con baño — room with bath
2(acción)habitationhabitación humana — human habitation
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.