In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(residencia)homeformar / fundar un hogar — to set up home
- artículos para el hogar — household goods
- las labores del hogar — housework
- miles de personas se han quedado sin hogar — thousands of people have been left homeless
- la mayoría de estos niños provienen de hogares deshechos — most of these children come from broken homes
- hogar, dulce hogar — home sweet home
3EspañaEscueladomestic sciencehome economics
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.