In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1importancetemas de gran importancia — matters of great importance / significance
- esos son detalles sin importancia — those are minor / unimportant / insignificant details
- trató de quitarle / restarle importancia al problema — she tried to play down the importance of the problem
- no debemos darle tanta importancia a este tema — we should not attach too much importance to this matter
- siento llegar tarde — no tiene importancia — I'm sorry I'm late — it doesn't matter
- ¿y eso qué importancia tiene? — so what?
- darse importancia — to give oneself airs
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.