In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(trabajo)workuna labor de equipo — teamwork
- los vecinos contribuyeron en las labores de búsqueda — the neighbors joined in the search
- labores domésticas / del hogar — housework
- profesión: sus labores — occupation: housewife
- su importante labor en el campo de la física — her important work in the field of physics
- estar por la labor — to be in favor
- están por la labor de poner en marcha estas medidas — they are in favor of putting these measures into action
2(de coser, bordar) needlework(de punto) knittingclase de labor(es) — needlework class
3Agriculturaplowing EEUUploughing Britanico→ tierra
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.