In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1stupid thinghiciste una lesera — you did a stupid thing
- fue una lesera no aceptar — it was stupid not to accept
- se enojó por una lesera — he got angry over a trifle / over next to nothing
- déjate de hacer leseras — stop acting the fool
- dijo puras leseras — what he said was a load of drivel
- ¡que lesera! — how stupid!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.