In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Hay dos tipos de ardillas, las simpaticonas y las malajes.
- Solo a un malaje se le ocurre tamaña mentecatez.
- Yo he podido disfrutar su salero y su malaje.
- En mi tierra, a Hamilton se le tildaría de malaje.
- Que solo le corten el paso a los malajes.
- En Andalucía un malaje es una persona que no tiene gracia.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.