In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Mecánicamechanismmecanismo de apertura retardada — time lock mechanism
- mecanismo de relojería — clockwork mechanism
- el mecanismo de dirección — the steering gear
- un mecanismo que bloquea las ruedas — a device / mechanism that stops the wheels from moving
2(de un proceso, sistema)mechanismel mecanismo administrativo — the administrative mechanism
- se espera encontrar soluciones aceptables a través de los mecanismos de negociación — it is hoped that acceptable solutions will be found through the negotiating process
- a través de otros mecanismos diferentes al de las armas — by means other than the use of arms
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.