In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(porción/tamaño) medium(coche) medium-sizedviene en tres tallas, pequeña, mediana y grande — it comes in three sizes, small, medium and large
- un hombre de mediana estatura — a man of medium / average height
- una chica de mediana inteligencia — a girl of average intelligence
- de mediana edad — middle-aged
- son tres hermanas, la que se casó es la mediana — there are three sisters, and the one who got married is the middle one
- la mediana empresa en este país — medium-sized business in this country
2(mediocre)averagemediocreun trabajo de mediana calidad — a rather average piece of work
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.