In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1monthel mes pasado/que viene — last/next month
- una vez al mes — once a month
- ¿cuánto pagas al mes de alquiler? — how much rent do you pay a month?
- durante los meses de verano — during the summer months
- a principios de mes — at the beginning of the month
- tiene siete meses — he's seven months old
- está embarazada de tres meses — she's three months pregnant
- nos deben dos meses — they owe us two months' rent (or pay etc.)
- estar con el mes — to be having one's period
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.