In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(modo de mirar)looksu mirada era triste/dulce — he had a sad/tender look in his eyes
- tiene una mirada penetrante — he has a penetrating gaze
- hay miradas que matan — if looks could kill …
2(acción de mirar)looklos vi intercambiar una mirada de soslayo — I saw them exchange a sidelong glance
- lo fulminó con la mirada — she gave him a withering look
- le dirigió / lanzó una mirada reprobatoria — he looked at her disapprovingly
- quería huir de las miradas curiosas de los vecinos — he wanted to get away from the neighbors' prying eyes
- echa una mirada a ver si no nos dejamos nada — take / have a quick look to make sure we haven't left anything behind
- solo le eché una miradita por encima — I just had a quick glance at it
- le voy a echar una mirada a tu trabajo — I'm going to cast an eye over / take a look at your essay
- échale una miradita al arroz — have a little / quick look at the rice
- voy a echarle una mirada a Gabriela a ver si sigue dormida — I'm going to look in on Gabriela to see if she's still asleep
3(vista)tenía la mirada fija en el suelo — she was staring at the ground
- con la mirada perdida en el horizonte — (with) his eyes / gaze fixed on the horizon
- recorrió la habitación con la mirada — she cast her eyes over / she looked around the room
- su mirada se posó en ella — his gaze settled on her
- ni siquiera se molestó en levantar la mirada cuando le hablé — he didn't even bother to look up when I spoke to him
- seguía con la mirada los movimientos de la madre — she followed her mother's movements with her eyes
4(mira)sightstrabajar con la mirada puesta en el porvenir — to work with one's sights set on the future
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.