In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1motionpresentar una moción — to propose a motion
- no apoyaron la moción — they didn't support the motion
- votar una moción — to vote on a motion
- promover una moción — to bring forward a motion (for discussion)
- aceptar/rechazar una moción — to pass/reject a motion
- la moción se aprobó por 130 votos a favor y 70 en contra — the motion was carried / passed by 130 votes to 70
- hacer una moción de orden — to make a point of order
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.