In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(con otro negativo)venía sin gabardina ni paraguas — he wasn't wearing a raincoat or carrying an umbrella
- no se lastimó ni nada — he didn't hurt himself or anything
- no vino él ni su mujer — neither he nor his wife came
- yo no pienso ir — ni yo (tampoco) — I don't intend going — nor do I / neither do I
- ni … ni
- ni fumo ni bebo — I don't smoke or drink
- no nos avisaron ni a Sol ni a Pablo ni a mí — they didn't tell Sol, or Pablo or me
- no vinieron ni él ni su mujer — neither he nor his wife came
- ni me gusta ni me deja de gustar — I don't like him or dislike him
2.1also ni siquieranot even¿ni (siquiera) piensas llamarlo? — aren't you even going to call him?
- no vendieron ni un libro — they didn't sell a single book
- y de esto ni una palabra a nadie — and not a word of this to anyone
- de sus amigos no vino ni uno — not one of his friends came
- no me queda ni una — I haven't a single one left
3.1(en frases que expresan rechazo)¡ni hablar! — certainly not!
- ni borracha volvería ahí — wild horses wouldn't drag me back there
- ni aunque me lo pida de rodillas — not even if he gets down on bended knee
- ¡qué receta ni qué receta! yo lo hago a mi manera — recipe? forget the recipe, I do it my own way
3.2(en frases que expresan enfado)¡ni que fuera el dueño de la empresa! — anyone would think he owned the company
- no podemos permitírnoslo ¡ni que fuéramos millonarios! — we can't afford it, we're not millionaires you know / it's not as if we're millionaires!
3.3(en frases que expresan satisfacción, alegría)llegas que ni caída del cielo — you couldn't have arrived at a better time
- te queda que ni a la medida — it looks as if it was made to measure
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.