In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Políticapoliticsse dedicó a la política — he went into politics
- siempre están hablando de política — they are always talking about politics
- meterse en política — (como profesión) to go into politics
2(postura)policyla política económica del gobierno — the government's economic policy
- política interior/exterior — domestic/foreign policy
- política gubernamental — government policy
- política salarial — wage policy
- nuestra política educativa — our education policy
- una política de negociación — a policy of negotiation
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.