In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(prioridad)dieron preferencia a los casos más urgentes — priority / precedence was given to the most urgent cases
- tienen preferencia los que vienen por la derecha — traffic approaching from the right has right of way
2(predilección)preferenceno quiso expresar ninguna preferencia — he wouldn't express a preference
- tiene preferencia por el más pequeño — the youngest one is her favorite
- de preferencia — preferably
- la semana que viene, de preferencia el martes — this coming week, preferably on Tuesday
- se dará preferencia a los candidatos que hablen inglés — preference will be given to candidates who speak English
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.