In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(compromiso, palabra)promiseno me vengas con falsas promesas — don't make promises you don't intend to keep
- hacer una promesa — to make a promise / vow
- cumplí (con) mi promesa — I kept my promise / word
- faltaste a tu promesa — you went back on your word
- romper una promesa — to break a promise
- fue fiel a su promesa — she was as good as her word
2(persona)hopela joven promesa del atletismo italiano — the bright young hope of Italian athletics
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.