In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(cuidado) care(sabiduría) wisdomconduce con prudencia — drive carefully
- hay que manejarlo con mucha prudencia — it must be handled with great care / very carefully
- la prudencia de las medidas — the prudence of the measures
- gracias a su prudencia en cuestiones de dinero — thanks to her prudence / carefulness in money matters
- una prudencia que raya en la cobardía — caution bordering on cowardice
- la prudencia solo se aprende con los años — prudence only comes with age
- la prudencia es la madre de la ciencia — discretion is the better part of valor
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.