In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(transportes/comunicaciones) (before noun) land(comunicaciones/transportes) terrestrial formalla ruta terrestre — the land route
- por vía terrestre — overland / by land
- animales terrestres — land animals
- fuerzas terrestres — ground / land forces
- la superficie terrestre — the surface of the earth
- la esfera terrestre — the terrestrial sphere
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.