In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1veilvelo de novia/monja — bridal/nun's veil
- la danza de los siete velos — the dance of the seven veils
- correr / echar un tupido velo sobre algo — to draw a veil over something
- será mejor que corramos / echemos un tupido velo sobre estas cosas — let's put these things behind us / draw a veil over these things
- descorrer el velo sobre algo — to uncover sth
- tomar el velo — to take the veil
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.