In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1España(de vosotros)yourestos son vuestros libros / estos son los libros vuestros — these are your books
- un amigo vuestro — a friend of yours
- la responsabilidad es vuestra — it's your responsibility
- lo que decidáis hacer es cosa vuestra — what you decide to do is entirely up to you
2formalyourVuestra Majestad/Excelencia — Your Majesty/Excellency
1España coloquialel vuestro, la vuestra, etc — yours
- es más viejo que el vuestro — it's older than yours
- ¡lo vuestro fue de película! — what happened to you was incredible!
2formalel vuestro, la vuestra, etc — yours
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.