In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1many-sided — de muchos lados
- a three-sided figure — una figura de tres lados
- In all but the most one-sided encounters, however, the ascendancy shifts between the teams.
- The valley is quite narrow and steep-sided, so you do not see out, but it's full of interest.
- In particular they want to speak to the driver of a large articulated lorry which had a curtain-sided trailer with gold writing on it.
- Given the known propensities of baggage handlers, a hard-sided case is definitely the way to go.
- Having played himself in, however, he began to turn what had been a one-sided game into a real contest.
- Instead of straight-sided walls, the walls curve so the building is wider at the middle than at each end.
- Those old oriental boxes, top hats with pigeons and double-sided silk handkerchiefs won't do any more.
- Our English breakfast tea arrived in separate six-sided pots, together with jugs of hot water and fresh milk.
- It was due to be a triple-sided single with Infa Riot, 4 - Skins and Last Resort.
- What was the point of painting such a negative and one - sided picture of them?
- He had originally been referred to a neurologist with left-sided ear pain.
- In the comfy lounge, a 20-sided die rolled silently across a table like a tumbleweed.
- I woke up at five am with a right-sided headache that throbbed.
- Through the millennia, the Zambezi River has carved its way down through faulted rock to create this sheer-sided gorge.
- I'm still waiting for three- or more-sided skirmish and multiplayer battles.
- I think that trying to find a major turning point of this rather one-sided affair is hard to come by.
- He presented with a 24 hour history of right-sided chest pain which seemed to be temporally related to a recent bout of coughing.
- This made calculus a lot cleaner, and it makes the conceptualization of a circle as an infinite-sided polygon possible.
- If you want to lighten up or brighten up one side of a portrait, the white-sided reflector also works well.
- Day two, we walked down the steep-sided Hukere Stream to join up with the Travers River, then on to Lake Head hut.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.