In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1in UK exc Scotland
- The large number of A grades this year in the A-level backs up this explanation.
- The gifted A-level student suffered from a rare heart defect which caused her to collapse at the wheel of her car leading to the crash.
- Compiled by the Press Association news agency, it ranked previously known top schools in terms of their A-level points score.
- The hopes and dreams of thousands of teenagers hung in the balance on Thursday as they tore into brown envelopes for their A-level results.
- A kindhearted teenager built a safari area free of charge for youngsters at an infants school as part of his A-level studies.
- Chris had just completed his A-level studies at St John's School, Marlborough.
- If they continue with their education, this is followed with GCSE, AS levels and A2-or A level - exams at the age of 16, 17 and 18.
- The dispute forced the college to send home A-level students for a study day, although it remained open to those on vocational courses.
- My A level physics practical exam featured an accident too, though far less exciting than this one.
- Today, his father paid tribute to the hospital staff who saved his life and said he understood why the brave A-level student wants to kite surf again.
- Defenders of the new A-level point to the ‘pressures’ of doing coursework.
- It's an A-level commentary, providing a lot of depth and insight for the viewer.
- An A-level student. surnamed Lee, said he had moved to Tsuen Wan before the isolation order was imposed.
- Seeing all the A-level students reminded me of three years ago.
- Or that simply passing English exams at Cambridge GCE O and A levels isn't good enough now.
- I received an email through the site from a young woman doing an A-level journalism course who wanted to write a story about street harassment.
- Girls have won a greater proportion of passes at A-level for the last eight years.
- There are about 20 lads staying on to do GNVQ, so they can start the A-level course next year.
- I famously, because I travelled a lot but also because I was slack and didn't pay attention, booked and paid for my A level English literature exam, but was so far behind that I didn't even show up on the day.
- This was the first time such a concession had been made in her school for an A-level student.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.