In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The next program was about the good dog catchers in NYC - they are a division of the ASPCA - who rescue abused and abandoned pets.
- The proposal for a refuge, while well-intentioned, is not the solution to the problem of unwanted, abandoned pet reptiles.
- In his book, Oliver James uses the damage done to abandoned children raised by wild animals to prove the importance of total parenting.
- In the first, a young peasant woman desperately fights to protect an abandoned baby boy she's taken under her wing.
- They say they have picked up more than 900 abandoned pets, since the storm ended.
- And who could be more helpless than a child - alone, abandoned, unbelieved - pursued in the dark by a murderer?
- An unexpected Christmas present in the form of an abandoned boy was left on the President's doorstep on Sunday.
- While eating dinner at a noodle stand, he encounters an abandoned baby boy.
- The Evening Telegraph featured a dozen cases of abandoned and unwanted pets in the week before Christmas in a bid to ease the pressure on the RSPCA following the festive period.
- Search teams are tonight stepping up their efforts to rescue abandoned pets in New Orleans as well.
- An American government advisor kept abandoned deer, squirrels and even a bear as pets on the grounds of his manor.
- There are still many thousands of lost or abandoned pets in need of rescue in the areas hit by Hurricane Katrina.
- Anyone who finds an abandoned pet can call the RSPCA.
- Her story begins more than 40 years in the past, when a 9-year-old boy delivers an abandoned baby to the doorstep of a beauty shop.
- More than 2,500 neglected, unwanted or abandoned exotic pets were seized by inspectors last year.
- This boa constrictor was found on a local bus… one of a growing number of abandoned exotic pets the RSPCA has to deal with.
- Some are abandoned pets; others were born on the streets.
- Feral cats are the offspring of stray or abandoned household pets.
- She chose another and I felt abandoned after all.
- I'd like to propose a toast to unfettered, abandoned appetite.
- Trinbagonians hit the streets at 1am for Jouvert, a small-hours celebration that sees the capital erupt with abandoned sensuality.
- I remember downing a great deal of vodka and dancing in a rather abandoned fashion.
- Many of them clearly enjoyed a traditional expatriate life of abandoned debauchery.
- I had enough gin in me to play along in unabashed, abandoned delight.
- We saw nothing less than wicked, abandoned delight in each other's eyes.
- I'm attracted to photography for its voyeuristic quality, and I approach the subject in an abandoned, playful, intuitive way.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.