In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Some of the monks leave the abbey to serve mass, speak at other religious communities, and to collect materials for the workshops.
- Iona, and its subordinate abbeys, accepted the Roman Church early in the eighth century, but the Scottish Church did not conform entirely.
- The monasteries and abbeys were the basis of church life.
- They prayed for everyone in the abbey and the community at large.
- He gained greater freedom in 1867 when the monastery was made an abbey and he was appointed abbot as well as a local bishop.
- He has attended several retreats at the abbey, run by the Catholic order of Benedictine monks.
- Before it was a cathedral, back in medieval times, it was an abbey, Gerrie explains.
- There was a boom in the building of castles, abbeys, and priories.
- It has a long and glorious history - the earliest chandeliers date to before the Reformation, when they could be found in the cavernous interiors of medieval churches and abbeys across Europe.
- Whether they were to serve the purposes of missionaries, monks, or emperors these manuscripts were mostly produced in the scriptoria or cloisters of abbeys and monasteries.
- A native and monk of Sherborne, Stephen joined the abbey of Molesme near Dijon.
- The abbey and college are also Ryedale's second largest employer and trustees are asking planners to consider the benefits to the local economy.
- The Benedictine abbey is long gone but the eleventh-century church remains, and is one of the finest survivors of the Romanesque in France.
- He has traveled around the world recruiting for his abbey's Catholic seminary.
- Friaries were occupied by friars, abbeys were headed by abbots, priories by priors.
- And so it came about that it was Norman monks who established the abbey.
- Æthelbald, king of Mercia, had a church built over his tomb, which later became the abbey of Crowland.
- Aelred, a friend and follower of St. Bernard, defined holy friendship for the monks of his abbey.
- A few years after, and probably in response to, the foundation of the abbey, this church became an Augustinian priory.
- The abbey was founded in 1132 and monks lived in it for 400 years until Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.