In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He goes into prison (the cameraman had the abdabs) to interview the much feared mogul, who is polite and tells him nothing.
- I'm not superstitious, but the whole area gave me a case of the screaming abdabs, something Awful and EVIL had happened nearby.
- The thought of that could give her the screaming abdabs if she dwelled on it.
- As long as they continue to keep out of my kitchen cupboards and bed I won't have the screaming abdabs.
- These are the nightmare scenarios that have caused me to wake with the screaming abdabs over the past month.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.