In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of mammal)abdomen masculinovientre masculinoa pain in the lower abdomen — un dolor en el bajo vientre
- This involves the removal of the gallbladder under general anaesthetic through a larger cut in the abdomen.
- X-ray pictures of the abdomen can then show what is going on inside the bowel.
- This is a long thin instrument with a light source at its tip, to light up the inside of the abdomen or pelvis.
- The midwife or doctor may use a device placed on the abdomen to amplify the heartbeat.
- It is quite common to develop a vertical, pigmented line on the skin of the abdomen below the belly button, which fades later.
- The main sign of an aortic aneurysm is a lump in the abdomen, high up and a little to the right, that pulses obviously with the heartbeat.
- In fact, I just saw an ad for a Sauna Belt that makes you lose an inch on your abdomen in about a half hour.
- Mesothelioma is a rare form of carcinoma that occurs in the mesothelium lining lungs, abdomens and hearts.
- Debulking surgery left appreciable disease in the abdomen and a malignant pleural effusion.
- Being overweight puts more pressure on the abdomen and the valve in the gullet.
- A high bowel obstruction will have a few dilated loops of small bowel in the abdomen.
- Abdominal pain concurrent with nausea points to the abdomen as the source of nausea.
- The pain develops quickly, and may also occur in the abdomen, and the scrotal skin discolours.
- It has been compared to magic fingers which reach into the interior of the abdomen and massage your organs.
- The surgeon will make a cut in your lower abdomen and remove your appendix.
- The patient, a father of four from a town near Haifa, had the artificial ventricle inserted into his abdomen.
- The hernia is pushed back through the gap into its proper place inside the abdomen and the gap is then closed with stitches.
- Girls with ovarian tumors may have abdominal pain and masses that can be felt in the abdomen.
- The colon is the large intestine or lower bowel and sits in the abdomen, forming the last part of the digestive tract.
- In some instances, a tight belt or other poorly fitted clothing can cause nerve root irritation, especially in physically unfit persons with protuberant abdomens.
2(of insect)abdomen masculino
- It has three pairs of true legs on the thorax and five pairs of fleshy prolegs on the abdomen.
- When they get peckish, the queens wag their abdomens across their nests, creating vibrations that ‘ask’ for a nutritious saliva snack.
- Prior to metamorphosis, the caterpillars pack together and suspend themselves by the tips of their abdomens from the inner walls.
- Attacked bees often have deformed wings and abdomens and a shortened life span.
- Females with eggs attached to their abdomens were transferred from the stock tanks to the female tank.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.