In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In other words, modernity has become critical of modernism and of its own utopian absolutism.
- Benedict's experience of Nazism led him to a fear not of absolutism but of totalitarianism, in which authority and truth are divorced.
- It is not moral absolutism but theological relativism we would do well to explore if our real need is for a God with whom we can engage our lives.
- It seemed as if the military and financial power of absolutism excluded every possibility of a revolution in Russia.
- Yet the German nation did not succeed in shaking off the yoke of absolutism and in establishing democracy and parliamentary government.
- Locke's political ideas reflect the alliance of classes that jointly opposed the drive to absolutism in mid and late seventeenth century England.
- Then the region's leaders sided with absolutism during WWI and then Facism during WWII.
- At the heart of Schiller's play, written two years before the French Revolution, lies a confrontation between absolutism and liberty.
- At its core, this is an argument that absolutism should always be met with absolutism, a notion that I think is wildly mistaken.
- This arrogant spirit of ontological absolutism pervades his essay.
- This absolutism is wrong in principle, and it's also bad politics.
- Thus papal absolutism and Spanish absolutism, secular and ecclesiastical power, grew ever more complementary and interdependent.
- Thus we see evil as being inextricably linked to moral absolutism, by the route of religion, which excludes understanding and is ultimately oppressive.
- The linchpin of my argument is the distinction between absolutism, relativism, and pluralism.
- In the very act of rejecting hierarchies of value, relativism constructs a hierarchy, which values its own relativism above any absolutism.
- As Europe basked in the Enlightenment, Popish superstition and its stablemate monarchical absolutism appeared to be receding into the past.
- They were opposed by a Conservative party, which supported royal absolutism and bureaucratic centralism.
- Nor should it be thought that Marx's defence of democratic rights only extended to countries in which there was feudal absolutism.
- I was raised Catholic and left at an early age, but the Roman church's absolutism and attention to detail stay with one for life.
- Certainly, there was the occasional despot who aspired to religious absolutism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.