In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1academia femeninomilitary/police academy — academia militar/de policía femenino
- academy of art — escuela de bellas artes
- academy of music — conservatorio
- Smithson argues that fire and police academies should offer this training.
- The academy has vigorous training and fitness programmes.
- The long days studying in class and endless hours of physical training at the academy paid off in ways Richard had probably never imagined.
- Many of the youngsters graduated from tennis academies rather than high schools, and they're not the best conversationalists.
- We see a class at the police academy that behaves like a bunch of high school kids.
- The victim was a 24-year-old recent graduate of a police academy that has received support and guidance from coalition forces.
- Tony Blair has formally opened a training academy for teachers known as the Sandhurst for teachers.
- He may have shunned the British academies for a training school in Barcelona, where he has honed his skills as a clay court exponent rather than a grass aficionado, but he still counts British No 1, Henman, as a role model.
- In the training academy, I'll be running five miles a day.
- During the year the academy will provide training support for the athletes including the use of biokinetics and a course in special nutrition to enhance the athletes' performances.
- All three graduated from the police academy at Yuba County Community College.
- It's not like she goes to the police academy to train and prepare herself for things like this.
- After I graduated from college, I entered the police academy.
- Members of the Homeless Power Project also have met with police recruits at the training academy and at some precincts.
- After graduation, I was accepted into the police academy's six-month training program to become an officer.
- The day she graduated from high school, she signed up for the police academy.
- In fact he became a police recruit, joining the force and training at an academy in North Wales.
- Rookie cops graduate from the police academy anxious to collar real criminals.
- President Bush delivered the commencement address at the Air Force academy today.
- He went to Florida January 2, still limping badly, to focus on the NFL by working out and living at a training academy owned by the IMG agency.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.