In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the accused — los acusados
- There can be no trial at all unless the accused is fit both to plead and to stand trial.
- Being present at the hearing of one's case is often of crucial importance to the accused.
- He used a combination of intimidation and hearsay evidence to browbeat the accused.
- A defence expert may be viewed by the jury as hired to say something that would help the accused.
- This was the second time she was required to take the stand in full view of the accused.
- The accused then told the victim he would kill her if she didn't do what he told her to do.
- Two of the four accused were dismissed early in the trial after the judge found her to be unreliable.
- These are not cases where the accused has caused death while in an involuntary state.
- In most cases, it is probably only the age and sex of the accused that are capable of being relevant.
- It also has to be clear that the accused has been told of the evidence against him so that if he has an alibi he can use it.
- The young boy was then punched to the floor and kicked in the face and stomach by the accused.
- I was repeatedly forced to waive my rights in order to be treated like any other accused.
- Of course, everybody knew that the deed with which the accused was charged had been done.
- That required fairness to the accused but also to the prosecution and those involved in it.
- Many of the collateral rules relating to the defence are favourable to the accused.
- Throughout detectives have been struck by the lack of remorse shown by the accused.
- Since the judges never met the accused, the evidence was unlikely to be challenged.
- Immediately after the robbery the accused had left his home and could not be found by the police.
- This is all proceeding on the assumption that the accused was there on the night of the burglary.
- It is a matter of urgency for us that the accused are released and all charges are dropped.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.