In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Swedenborg joined his mysticism with a keen interest in natural science, especially acoustics.
- Driven to match his father's prominence as a speech analyst, he undertook research in acoustics and speech with the aid of electrical and mechanical devices.
- Music and the science of sound and acoustics stand on the brink of huge change.
- Since that time, considerable advances have been made in the science of underwater acoustics and the hardware used for the detection of faint signals.
- Duhamel worked on partial differential equations and applied his methods to the theory of heat, to rational mechanics and to acoustics.
- Current advances in science and technology, particularly in the area of acoustics and high technologies, enable a more complete utilization of the audio band.
- He studied mathematical physics and acoustics producing a major study in 1862 which looked at musical theory and the perception of sound.
- Rayleigh developed laboratory courses in heat, electricity and magnetism, properties of matter, optics, and acoustics.
- It was Murray who taught Alexander Graham Bell the basics of acoustics and electricity and thus was the grandfather, if not the father, of the telephone.
- Thompson, for example, could easily have written a history of technological changes in the history of sound and acoustics.
- He studied continuum mechanics, lunar theory with Clairaut, the three body problem, elasticity, acoustics, the wave theory of light, hydraulics, and music.
- Thus, the field of acoustics covers a vast array of different areas of use, and they are constantly expanding.
- In the following article, Matthew Malsky analyzes the effect of digital technology on the science of acoustics in pursuit of a ‘real’ listening experience.
- During World War I Fubini studied the accuracy of artillery fire and these investigations led him on to work on acoustics and electricity.
- He specializes in ocean acoustics, signal processing and physical oceanography.
- Unit Conversion Utility - consists of 47 electronic conversions in seven categories useful for forecasting, acoustics and nautical science.
2(of room)acústica femenino
- ‘The perfect acoustics in the Heritage Centre make it the ideal venue for storytelling, music and song,’ says Ms Byrne.
- Luckily the room was not without excellent acoustics (even if her ears were still ringing a bit).
- The acoustics in this room sometimes are a little deceptive.
- The acoustics in the living room, thanks to its high ceiling and scant furniture, were incredible.
- The Cathedral is a beautiful venue for concerts and recitals and all musicians who play there comment on the wonderful acoustic of the building.
- Good sound guys can figure out the acoustics during sound check relatively quickly, but that's only going to go so far.
- The acoustics within a room depend on the key issues of reverberation, room shape, and interior noise control.
- I look at this place and think, ‘jeez, from the perfect acoustics and sightlines of the Roman amphitheaters, it's all been downhill from there.’
- Unfortunately, the debate was hampered by the acoustics in the hall, and many of the participants, myself included, were unable to follow much of what was said.
- The courtroom was huge, but the acoustics in the room were good and even the slightest bit of breathing could be heard.
- ‘The acoustics in this house can play tricks with sounds,’ the earl continued.
- The venue, Victoria Hall, is a beautiful 101-year-old local landmark which has superb acoustics and facilities and lends itself perfectly to this event.
- However, the acoustics in that room where dreadful (very high ceiling), but Eric and Andre (2nd guitar and bass) did a good job and put on a good show.
- His voice, as heard over the television, is not ideally modulated, but it was probably adapted to the acoustics in the room as he heard his own voice.
- But the shape of the rooms created terrible acoustics.
- The attention to detail is magnificent and manifests itself in everything from the programme to the seating arrangements to the acoustics.
- The cave's acoustics intensified the sound, causing her to become fully aware of the headache she was trying to ignore in the hope of placating it.
- They all resonate at the same pitch, yet produce a constant, layered dissonance due to the room's inconsistent acoustics.
- The beautiful opera house claims to be one of the best in Europe, with perfect acoustics and frescoes painted by Karoly Lotz.
- Wavy perforated metal panels aid the room's acoustics yet appear to float off of the brick walls.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.