In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Musicians, dancers, acrobats, clowns, actors, mimes and every hybrid in between entertain and educate audiences of kids, their parents and teachers.
- And if this is a trendsetter, our action sequences are not going to have beefy people flexing their muscles or lean and steely acrobats performing somersaults anymore.
- Entertainment was provided by acrobats, clowns and sometimes gladiators.
- The private Cirque du Soleil show will feature more than 70 artists from around the world, including gymnasts, acrobats, dancers and clowns.
- After a sumptuous dinner the ‘tourists’ were astounded by the talents of Chinese acrobats, performing feats of extreme flexibility, strength and coordination.
- The camera pulls back to reveal three acrobats performing on sashes against the spectacular roof of the Royal Horticultural Halls in Victoria.
- Wilmer already performs as an acrobat, trick motorcyclist, trapeze artist, magician, dancer and clown.
- The play itself begins at 8: 30 p.m., but the spectacle begins at 7: 30 with a team of acrobats performing death-defying feats.
- The boy boxers, no less than the storytellers, acrobats, dancers and musicians, are, to this extent, part of a total experience.
- The Great Bombay Circus is here, and the star attractions this time are the breathtaking performances by Russian acrobats.
- As a self-confessed slob, I have amazing respect for what these guys do with their urban ballet: they're athletes, stuntmen, acrobats, gymnasts and martial artists all rolled into one.
- Both were, of course, memorable events which used spectacular fireworks, acrobats, singers, dancers and musicians to showcase the city to the world.
- Later the group realised that its acrobats, walkers, gymnasts and stilt walkers needed a high protein diet.
- We need all kinds of artists, from painters to performers, architects to acrobats and journalists to jewellery makers.
- The show includes a breath-taking array of acrobats, gymnasts and dancers and runs until Sunday, February 22.
- There is a thriving leisure class, which has given way to a class of well-off entertainers - dancers, acrobats, singers and other such performers in addition to the usual street variety.
- Street entertainers including clowns, acrobats, jugglers, and even walking wheeled dustbins and flower planters will entertain the crowds around town centre streets.
- Musicians and acrobats entertain in a discreet way.
- The Moscow State Circus is famous worldwide thanks to its spectacular displays from acrobats, clowns, gymnasts, trapeze artists and lots more.
- Then we'd be able to hold big gymnastics festivals where masses of gymnasts and acrobats would perform.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.