In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The case was adjourned until yesterday after the jury was dismissed for legal reasons part-way through.
- The case was adjourned for a short break when the court heard that both defendants were feeling unwell.
- His case was adjourned for psychiatric reports until March 24th.
- The case was adjourned until December 7 for reports.
- The defence asked for time to obtain expert opinion from a US legal expert and the case was adjourned until Tuesday 18 October.
- He did not enter a plea and his case was adjourned until July 3.
- He said he would refer the issue to the Attorney General for legal advice and adjourn the case until January 31, 2002.
- Her case is adjourned until July 5 and she is free on bail.
- So, after two days of legal argument, the case was adjourned until Monday 10th May.
- The pair did not enter a plea and the case was adjourned until Monday November 29 when it is due to be heard before Tanzania's High Court.
- The bench called for pre-sentence reports and adjourned the case until September 16, granting conditional bail.
- His case was adjourned until today for a probation report.
- The case was adjourned until June 18 for reports to be prepared.
- The magistrates adjourned the case until September 10 for reports.
- The father-of-two appeared in court last month, but the case was adjourned until yesterday for reports.
- She appeared at Richmond Court in custody and was refused bail after her case was adjourned until April 24th for reports.
- Magistrates have adjourned the case until 22nd February.
- Magistrates adjourned the case until next month for the probation service to prepare social reports and said they were considering a community penalty.
- Magistrates adjourned the case until March 12 th for pre-sentence reports, and warned the teenager that he could face prison.
- The case was adjourned until March 15 for pre-sentence reports.
1(stop)the meeting adjourned — se levantó la sesión
- the court adjourned for lunch — el tribunal levantó la sesión para ir a comer
2formal, humorístico(go)pasarlet's adjourn to the garden — pasemos al jardín
- After the two minutes silence we adjourned to Wetherspoon's for a coffee before the parade left for the parish church.
- Afterwards all adjourned to the club house for a meal.
- An inquest has also been opened into Mr Lewis's death and adjourned to a later date.
- Later, the teams and guests adjourned to the specially erected marquee for a meal, refreshments and an enjoyable social evening.
- After inspection the group adjourned to Corpus Christy Communal Centre where tea was served and the signing took place.
- After Mass all adjourned to Frank's Place where a Four Course Meal was served by Killasser Community Care Group members.
- At the end of the concert, they adjourned to the bar.
- Villagers flocked to St Andrew's Church to hear Mr Bambury deliver a sermon from the pulpit, then adjourned to the pub opposite to see Rev Knight run the bar.
- After that, we adjourned to the drawing room where Carlo served us a pot of my finest Assam and some cucumber sandwiches.
- After the play, my friends and I adjourned to Newton for dinner, after which I had to leave early to meet up with new friends.
- After dinner, the boys adjourned to the living room for a movie.
- Later, many adjourned to the Western Hotel for a night of music and song.
- After a walk round the extensive gardens and lake, the group adjourned to Lullingstone for lunch.
- Following Mass the group adjourned to Gavin's Golden Hill House where a delicious luncheon awaited everyone.
- Everybody then adjourned to the 19th hole to talk over the competition, and all agreed it was a fine idea and it would improve their short game.
- My mom and I completed the tour of the backyard, and happily adjourned to the front yard.
- To finish the night off many adjourned to the Dungeon Bar in the basement of the castle for more musical entertainment until the early hours of the morning.
- At around 2: 15 we all adjourned to the dining room for Christmas dinner.
- Following a quick stop in the local café to greet many parishioners, I adjourned to the quiet of my pastoral study.
- An inquest was opened and adjourned to a date to be fixed at Barrow Town Hall on Monday.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.