In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to adjure sb to + inf — (order) ordenarle a algn que + subj
- Before the start of my first day here, a representative from the Ontario Teachers' Federation flagged down a group of us and adjured us to refuse to mark the test.
- When the High Priest said, ‘I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ the Son of the living God ‘, Jesus replied, ‘You have said so.’
- He adjures her to ‘do something else, outside yourself.’
- So, I adjure you to continue to publish - dare I say expand - your coverage of discontinued models, whether or not they are considered ‘classic.’
- Fortuna bid her goodnight, adjured her to behave and clasped her hand and kissed it before she made her way back to the inn.
- Some thirty-five years ago, when I was a newcomer to the United States, an American friend adjured me to respect the meaning of the word as humbug and not to confuse it with the word for nonsense.
- In words that echo Amos, Hosea, and Isaiah, the people are adjured to ‘do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly’ with their God.
- I adjure you to drop whatever vulgar habits you may have learned before you meet your husband.
- So, while, in his summing up, the Judge adjured the jury to ‘use your common sense, neither he nor the jury showed much of that vital commodity.’
- Rather, Jesus adjures them to seek a heavenly treasure that, although it cannot be grasped or understood by the usual human standards of success, is nonetheless indestructible.
- It is in this light that Romans 13 adjures people to obey the powers that be.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.