In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1acceso masculinoentrada femeninoadmittance to sth — acceso a algo
- I managed to gain admittance to the meeting — logré que me permitieran entrar a la reunión
- [ S ]no admittance — prohibida la entrada
- In particular, the attempts of women to gain admittance to professional bodies have been documented in detail.
- The German shepherd is, at heart, a friendly dog, but it will always want to make sure strangers have a right to enter its home before admittance is granted.
- The door opened with a rusty squeak and Tawnie was allowed admittance.
- The courtroom is packed, and not even the humblest is refused admittance.
- When RSPCA inspectors and Council dog wardens called last December, they were refused admittance by the mother who said that one of the dogs would bite them.
- With a brief word from his chauffeur, they were allowed admittance.
- A moment later he heard his mother gain admittance and then the lock click once more.
- The unfairness of it is even further emphasised when it comes to people queuing to gain admittance to nightclubs or pubs.
- Although François Achille Bazaine had middle-class origins, when he failed to gain admittance to military academy he enlisted into the infantry.
- Despite desperate attempts by the Carlow branch of the ISPCA to gain admittance to the site to save the birds, remarkably no one in county Carlow had a key to open the site's locked gates.
- If we, the citizens, are not aware of this, others are, and by the millions seek immediate admittance into these institutions.
- The park only charges 3 yuan for admittance which is the park's main income.
- The guy was nice and let us stay, but he said that others might ask me for two coupons to allow both of us admittance.
- Signs alerted hikers that no admittance was allowed without a permit.
- Only women of certain noble families could gain admittance to its cloister.
- Local residents are only too well aware of the increasing danger to pedestrians along West Lane at the times of school admittance and school closure yet this decision will increase the volume of traffic past Sandal School.
- In order to gain admittance into the Milliken or Fairchild Libraries after hours, a student or faculty member must scan their personally assigned access card.
- The doors began to swing open, allowing Suzaku admittance.
- In 1993 I was able to gain admittance to the Literature Department of the film academy.
- He goes to great lengths, for example, to describe his admittance into Hampton Institute in Virginia in 1872 as the result of his ability to clean and dust a classroom.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.