In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I think the point is that the youth is in a situation in which the symbols of courage and affirmation have inevitably become twisted.
- The other guard nodded in affirmation and began to head down towards the bathroom.
- The constant affirmation throughout the play is keeping the lines of communication open.
- What might seem like skepticism ends up as affirmation because of the poet's commitment to honesty.
- The nun's words were punctuated silently by her sisters' nods of affirmation.
- Leigh nodded in affirmation and made his way back to the car.
- Human life should be a search for meaning, but meaning only comes through affirmation.
- Friends usually do have something to gain from each other, be it companionship or affirmation of existence.
- They did this in various ways, an example being the investment in university education and the social affirmation that went with it.
- Trying to bring her own emotions back under control, she nodded her head in affirmation.
- Girls feel enhanced by continuous social affirmation while boys feel diminished.
- I guess I need to make some sort of affirmation to myself.
- For them, Birthright was a powerful, emotional affirmation of everything they already believed.
- It has also been a period of greater affirmation of human consciousness.
- The officers nodded in affirmation and pulled out their guns.
- The most difficult young people are often the most damaged young people, the most in need of affirmation and support and love.
- Each person is seen as trapped within his or her own private bubble, in constant need of affirmation and recognition.
- The girl was silent for a moment, then she nodded, grunting in affirmation.
- He looked inquisitively at his future sister-in-law and she nodded in affirmation.
- An enormous impetus behind this interest was the kind of parental affirmation that it received.
- This is what he said we must do: ‘We need to make our agenda clear in a review of the oaths and affirmations.’
- This was treated by both sides as a direction that affidavits or affirmations were to be evidence at this trial, even though the deponents did not attend for cross-examination.
- Are you prepared to take the oath, or will you make an affirmation?
- Magistrates upon appointment take oaths or make affirmations in the same form as Justices of this Court and the members of other federal courts.
- Perhaps we might also ask whether he will take an oath or make an affirmation in respect of those matters of fact which he is going to put before us.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.