In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is effective against very small and very fast targets such as air-to-surface attack missiles.
- American tactical air doctrine had not changed very much, notwithstanding the progress made in both air-to-air and air-to-surface weapons.
- ‘I don't think there's any other organization in the world that takes care of family like the Air Force,’ said a program manager at the air-to-surface munitions directorate.
- On average, my pilots employed air-to-surface weapons twice on 85 missions during our squadron's 24-week deployment.
- The missile, an air-to-surface warhead developed in the past few years, is finally ready for action.
- China has four different submarine-building programs and a massive inventory of surface-to-surface and air-to-surface missiles.
- At the same time, unmanned offensive air weapons, precision-weapon warheads and air-to-surface missiles are always within the range of military air defense weapons when the former engage protected installations.
- The radar has ten air-to-surface and ten air-to-ground modes for navigation fixing and weapon aiming.
- Some costs are straightforward, such as the time, money, and political clout required to develop suitable air-to-surface ranges, carve out military operating areas, and provide and allocate training munitions and sorties.
- For ground attack, the aircraft can be armed with rocket pods, bombs, cluster bombs or air-to-surface missiles.
- The F / A - 18 is equipped with a range of precision weapons including air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles, laser-guided bombs and conventional bombs in addition to its 20 mm nose cannon.
- These older aircraft configured to carry air-to-surface missiles were reconfigured to carry the new supersonic missile.
- It is a guidance kit that converts unguided free-fall bombs into capable and cost-effective air-to-surface smart weapons.
- The new missile will fill a perceived gap in longer range air-to-surface defence capabilities following the retirement of the F - 111s and introduction of their replacements.
- There can be hundreds of sorties on a daily basis to deliver massed strikes with precision air-to-surface missiles without flying above enemy territory.
- ‘We've got the best munitions with the best storage in the Air Force, and it's always ready to go wherever and whenever it's needed,’ said an officer.
- These included components for air-to-surface missiles, aircraft machine guns, armoured personnel carriers, combat aircraft, torpedoes and combat helicopters.
- As warnings were broadcast, the Mirage fired two Exocet air-to-surface missiles.
- The NATO Frigate Helicopter can be armed with anti-submarine torpedoes, air-to-surface missiles and air-to-air missiles.
- The anti-surface version is able to carry a range of air-to-surface missiles, including sea-skimming anti-ship missiles.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.