In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)(en América Latina) brigadier masculino(en España) general de brigada masculino
- The court martial will be heard at a military base by a senior judge and a board of at least five high-ranking officers, with an air commodore as president.
- However, it came to the attention of public service heads and politicians and his pending promotion to air commodore was held back for about four years.
- The commander was a US Army major general with a British Royal Air Force air commodore as deputy.
- A retired RAF air commodore with a long record of service,
- For the next year, the air commodore from Pateley Bridge, near Ripon, who still flies as a volunteer from RAF Church Fenton, will represent the Queen in law and order matters in North Yorkshire.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.