In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of hovercraft)colchón de aire masculino
- When the air cushion is strong enough, the operator steps onto the hovercraft platform and waits a few seconds until the air cushion becomes powerful enough to cause uniform levitation.
- Even so, work is currently in hand to study the possibility of creating air cushion landing craft with higher capacity and protected by light armor, but this work is only at a conceptual analysis stage now.
- Sixth, the use of air cushion landing craft in the course of an amphibious assault operation seriously complicates the effective engagement of marine striking echelons as they approach the coast.
- The hovercraft, or air cushion vehicle, was patented by British engineer Christopher Cockerell.
- An air cushion between the two hulls is created as the catamaran moves through the water.
- These flying vehicles can move near the surface of ground or water using the air cushion at a speed up to 160 km/h.
- The hovercraft had an air cushion under them that could be easily ruptured.
- The air cushion on the catamaran is contained between the sidehulls and end seals, and is generated by installed lift fans.
- Thanks to air cushions like the ones found on hovercraft, the vessel will be able to cruise on rivers and seas at 25 mph - twice the speed of current freighters.
- The shallow draft on air cushion gives the advantage of access to shallow coastal waters.
- This involves the use of specialized ships that can simultaneously launch helicopter forces and seaborne landing craft and air cushion landing craft.
- They're coming ashore on landing craft air cushions, the LCATs they're called.
2(cushion)almohadón inflable masculino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.