In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ladrillo de ventilación masculino
- If your home is particularly ‘airtight’, with double glazing and draught proofing, you might need an air vent or airbrick in an exterior wall.
- Buy sandbags or floorboards to block doors and airbricks and remember to ensure there is adequate ventilation.
- Passive systems are less effective and, although they have no moving parts to wear out, may still go wrong: airbricks blocked by vegetation, for example.
- More expensive alternatives were floodguards, for doors, windows and airbricks, or a portable metal wall to be built around homes when the water starts rising.
- Fill gaps around pipes, but be careful not to block airbricks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.