In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The royal party watched a dynamic display of aerial and aquatic action from the flight deck of aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal.
- Three hours later, the American aircraft carrier, the U.S.S Wasp, drifted into position.
- They also learnt the lesson that the aircraft carrier rather than the battleship was to be crucial to victory in naval warfare.
- Yamamoto saw the aircraft carrier as supporting the battleship rather than the other way round.
- Flight deck operations on an aircraft carrier are about as stressful as actual combat.
- They either undershot or overshot whilst attempting to land on an aircraft carrier.
- Another friend is currently serving as a senior officer on an aircraft carrier for the Royal Navy.
- He is, after all, a Navy veteran, thought he was landing on an aircraft carrier, perhaps.
- Ever wondered what it's like to land on an aircraft carrier?
- Wartime plans to construct an aircraft carrier out of ice left one Navy News reader bemused - but the tale is true.
- It was obvious that the aircraft carrier would be integral to this vision.
- Four people suffered minor injures when a crane toppled on to the flight deck of aircraft carrier HMS Invincible.
- On an aircraft carrier, it could take you a month just to find your way around.
- Plus, every parking space seems as big as an aircraft carrier flight deck.
- Moreover, public support for the acquisition of an aircraft carrier seems high.
- It will give the UK an aircraft that can take off from an aircraft carrier and provide the agility of a light fighter with the punch of a bomber.
- This includes an aircraft carrier, four frigates, two destroyers, other ships and group troops.
- This is a legacy of the Second World War, in which the aircraft carrier replaced the battleship as the capital ship of fleets.
- But within a year the aircraft was involved in an accident while landing on the aircraft carrier, HMS Ocean.
- This will allow Portsmouth Naval Base to handle the new generation of warships, particularly the future aircraft carrier.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.