In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Televisión la pequeña pantallathe airwaves — la radio
- Young broadcasters hit the airwaves this week after the launch of their school's radio station.
- In fact, given their power back, Americans might be more vigilant in policing the airwaves.
- It seems one of my election anecdotes graced the airwaves of Radio 4's Newsquiz yesterday.
- The intention of the Voices project is to give airtime to voices not usually heard on the BBC's airwaves.
- Find yourself starting to turn off the radio when politicians hit the airwaves?
- News and live programmes were significantly affected, but there were no blank screens or dead airwaves.
- The songs I grew up with have faded away from the airwaves but not out of my mind.
- This week Ali is shopping the song around to Alberta radio stations hoping it will hit the airwaves.
- Its hard drive can store 100 movies, and an antenna receives new films via broadcast airwaves.
- All a user has to do is download money from the bank over the airwaves, then wave the phone over a cash register.
- Cable television from across the Atlantic has long dominated our airwaves.
- Cable operators could also see the new airwaves as a way to shore up their business models.
- Her bubbly personality plus her perceptive understanding of local issues mean that Liz is a natural on the airwaves.
- Youngsters at a Bingley school are to hit the airwaves again after buying the latest equipment for their own radio station.
- With the terrestrial giants in decline, cable and satellite look set to rule the airwaves for some time to come.
- The government could then sell off the airwaves to mobile phone companies.
- It's the first time I'm being let loose on the airwaves as a presenter!
- A new radio station is ready to hit the airwaves in parts of East and South Mayo.
- In a nutshell, the phone and the router are in competition for the same airwaves.
- The buyers are likely to be mobile phone companies wanting to use the airwaves for new gadgets such as video phones.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.