In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He withdrew a scraping tool from his desk, and carefully aligned it with the lines of the ledger around that entry and then proceeded to scrape off the writing and lines in that entry.
- That's the instant the sun is aligned with the degree line of longitude, or the prime meridian - also called the Greenwich Meridian.
- Lay the shade on a flat surface with the lining side up, and mark the placement for the plastic rings along the dowel casing lines, aligning them with the screw eyes in the mounting board.
- Measure and cut each runner so that the slots are aligned with line AB.
- With right sides together and centers matching, align the creased line of a short flange with one short side of the rectangle.
- Most of the side chains in this arrangement are not aligned (pathways along the vertical lines in Fig.5).
- Extend your right arm straight down and align it with your shoulder, palm facing inward.
- All dipoles are aligned along the force lines of external voltage.
- Hold the club out in front of you, chest high, before you hit every shot, and make sure the clubface is aligned straight up and down.
- A plurality of such lines are aligned in a second direction, which is orthogonal to the first direction, to form a display screen.
- Select two fabric strips, lay one over the other at one end and pin them to the center back line, aligning the strip ends with the base fabric upper edge.
- The Morgan typically shuttles this material some 75 to 100 metres to the chipper, swinging the drags so the logs are aligned straight into the chipper infeed.
- Once the stem is aligned straight, the rib allows the stem to be moved up and down and stay in alignment, unless you twist it.
- For each strip place the ruler on the straight end, aligning the desired measure with the edge.
- These layers are aligned with latitude lines, due to Saturn's east-west winds.
- Hold the compass in your hand; turn yourself, your hand, the entire compass until the compass needle is aligned with the lines inside the compass housing.
- He aligned himself straight down and put his arms to his side.
- But then I added the tail and line anchor loops, aligned it, balanced it and it was ready to fly.
- Involuntarily, she stepped in, biting the inside of her cheek apprehensively and casting her eyes over the rows of neatly aligned desks in the room.
- Indeed, octopuses are frequently observed to exert force on objects with their arms aligned parallel to the line of force.
2Políticaalinearthey aligned themselves with the left — se alinearon con la izquierda
- Terry Castle aligns herself with the British women who have written memorably about the war years, but does not offer evidence that other women from the US might be similarly interested.
- It is no exaggeration, I think, to say that the future of the labour movement will be decided by the extent to which it aligns itself with the worldwide struggle against corporate rule.
- He aligns himself with such figures as John Shelby Spong, Don Cupitt and Lloyd Geering.
- Prof. Torrance aligns himself with Athanasius and the Nicene fathers in holding that the divine identity and one human personality are irreducibly bound together.
- Their policy is to align themselves with powerful moneyed forces to tilt the playing field in their favor and let everybody else fend for themselves.
- Likewise, they aligned themselves with the same ideology that also supported negative gender attacks against Carson.
- Veterans from any war have minds, have experiences, have opinions and align themselves with one political ideology or another.
- For his part, the Labour leader took every available opportunity to align himself with the Prime Minister's appeals to patriotism.
- Davis exaggerates even when he need not and so risks damaging the cause he's temporarily aligned himself with.
- No other chamber comes anywhere near that, but our strategy is to align ourselves with all other organisations, as long as they also believe in what we are trying to do.
- Everyone succeeds with a little help from others, and many of these scholars have been fortunate to align themselves with mentors who have encouraged and supported their innovative ideas.
- As individual members, time and opportunity are right for each of us to align ourselves with a public or private conservation organization and pitch in.
- You are in fact aligning yourself with a group of people who think socialism is a good thing.
- So all these people you're aligning yourself with, it's not good.
- He thus aligns himself with people who appear to think that we're interrogating the detainees for no reason other than sadism.
- It aligns us with the position outlined by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission in Australia.
- That gives you about four full days to decide who you will align yourself with.
- The truthteller only enters politics when he aligns himself with political or interest groups.
- Rightly or wrongly, it's also true that fans and politicians benefit from the success of high profile teams they align themselves with.
- Even Britain, which of all the major powers has most closely aligned itself with them, is balking at giving its support to the abandonment of the treaty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.